Favorite Tutorials

Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Summer is over

     Well,  1)  Summer is over,  2) no more 11 hr days at work.  I only got down to the beach twice this year.  Hardly had anytime to sew.  I mostly bought fabric and downloaded patterns and watched a lot of tutorials.  Oh and I bought (treated myself) to a new machine and table.  So now I am prepared for the fall and winter months ahead.  I have finished this quilt for our State Employees Charitable Campaign.

this one i want to try applique on the borders, question is do I add the applique to border first so that I can do it at work on a smaller piece or add borders and drag the whole thing to work?  This is a Fat Quarter Shop Free Pattern.   CHARM PACK CHERRY only I made mine bigger and it is turned on its side.
made this bag about a week ago.  The Sew Together Bag  will be making more for Christmas gifts.
trying EPP again I gave up the last time I did it. I am a lot further this time. I am getting better with each round.  something to do at work I also bought some embroidery floss to try my hand at that again too
So with summer over I have been very busy. Last weekend a co-worker and I went to Philly to fabric row didn't even know of it.  She mostly did apparel but now into quilting.  this is what I came home with.
and finally getting around to quilting this one.  I started this before the long hrs started at work but didnt have time or energy to work on it.  easy pattern and I am sorry I will have to look for the name and give credit later, i put it away and don't remember where.  I know I saw it on another blog.  
I hope everyone had a great summer and I am glad to be back in the mix.
as always, thanks for stopping by  Anna

3 comments:

  1. Well, you certainly have plenty of finishing to fill up your fall! I would add applique before putting the borders on, but if you can haul the whole thing to work, more power to you. =) You certainly have quite a few fall colors sprinkled in the post, especially some gorgeous new fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anna, what kind of work do you do that you can work on hand stitching while you're on the clock? I need that kind of employment! :-) Congratulations on your new machine and your lovely projects. That little bag with the zip compartments looks fabulous but very intimidating! The applique border will look great on that quilt but I'm not sure how best to go about it. I suppose it depends on how intricate the applique on the border will be -- how many pieces will be stitched to the border fabric and how large or small those pieces will be. It would be tricky to calculate how much the border would "shrink" from the hand applique stitches ahead of time, but you want your border to be correctly sized to lay nice and flat on the finished top. Depending on the design you have in mind, perhaps the borders could be appliqued in sections? Or you could cut the borders oversize, applique them separately but leave off some of the applique at the ends of each border. That way you can trim the borders to size, attach them to the quilt top, and THEN make any adjustments necessary when you applique around each of the four corners. That would give you the best of both worlds -- not having to drag the whole quilt top around throughout the entire applique process, but perfect fitting borders on your quilt top when all is said and done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, i have only been trolling sites all summer and it's nice to be back sewing.

    ReplyDelete